Chapter I: The Library
Scarlet Monastery is many people’s favorite instance. You will get to love it yourself too. One of the reasons people love it is because it is divided in 4 Mini instances instead a single big one. The advantages of that feature are numerous. The 4 mini-instances of Scarlet Monastery are The Graveyard, The Library, The Armory and The Chapel..
I will cover the graveyard instance shortly here (because there isn’t much to say about it), and then move on to the first important part of the instance, The Library. (see map above).
-  Into the Scarlet Monastery (elite) – Most important quest (given by Varimathras in the Undercity, in the Apothecarium area.)
-  Hearts of Zeal (elite) (given by Aponthecary Faranell in the Apothecarium, Undercity) Pre-requisite for this quest is Going, Going, Guano!, a quest involving the instance Razorfen Kraul.
-  Compendium of the Fallen (Elite) (given by Sage Truthseeker in Thunder bluff, you can find him on the lower rise, in the house connected to the bridge taking you to the Spirit rise).
Note: Undeads do not get this quest. (for lore reasons)
-  Test of Lore (elite) This is the follow up quest of a very long serie of quest, starting with  Test of Faith, given by Dorn Plainstalker, in the Thousand Needles, northeast of freewind post. It is up to you if you want to do this long quest or not.
-  In the name of the light Most important quest (given by Raleigh The Devout, in Hillsbrad Foothills, Southshore). This quest has pre-requisites: Starting with  Brother Anton (given by Brother Crowley in Stormwind city)
-  Mythology of the Titans (given by Librarian Mae Paledust, in the city of Ironforge)
-  Rituals of Power (Elite) There is a mage only quest involving retrieving a book in the Library. The quest is given by Tabetha, in Dustwallow marsh, right in the middle of the zone, and a bit to the south. It is a follow up quest, you need to be at this point in your ‘mage only’ quest line before going to Scarlet Monastery.
How to get to SM
Scarlet Monastery is located in the Northeastern part of Tirisfal Glades.
After going up a long corridor you will be in a large room with pillars in the middle, filled with scarlet denizens all around. Clear your way to the opposite side of this hall, and you will reach the 4 entrances to the instance. The two middle doors are locked, they give access to the Armory and The chapel, you can’t access them yet. The blue portal on the left gives access to the Graveyard, the blue portal on the right gives access to the Library.
The Graveyard part of the instance is through the Left blue portal, as explained above. It is totally optional. If you go there and clear the first corrider to the first room, you will be in a torture room, and an easy mini-boss will be there, he doesn’t drop anything worth it, but there is also a tortured prisoner there, who gives you a quest:
 Vorrel’s Revenge (Elite) (Horde only)
If you go to the end of the graveyard you will kill an easy named who drops blue loot sometimes, but really not worth it compared to what you can get in the other part of the instance. On the other hand, this part is easy and can be done by a low 30ish group.
Now on to the interesting stuff, to the library! Enter the blue portal to the right.
Group composition: lvl 35+ basic party. You need a tank, a healer (priest/druid), some crowd control against humanoid (Rogue / Mage / Warlock) and anything else.
The only real danger of this instance:
Runners. Every single mob (besides the hounds) in this instance runs away in fear when getting low on health. This is almost the only reason why parties can wipe there. So two things:
- Have someone on snare duty (by snare I mean movement slow effects such as Hamstring, concussive shot, etc, or even better, warlock’s curse of recklessness).
- Always pull way back, so you have room for errors.
The first corridor is a mix of Scarlet Gallants, Scarlet Adepts (priest type, so be ready to interupt their heals), and Scarlet Beastmasters (+Hound pet).
It’s easy if you follow the rules above. After clearing first corridor you will reach the Huntsman’s Cloister. Clear it entirely, then go south to the room where Houndmaster Loksey awaits you.
Houndmaster Loksey deals quite a lot of damage for his level, so if your party is rather 35- than 35+, I suggest you take this fight seriously.
He is guarded by 3 hounds, which don’t do nearly as much damage as Loksey does. If you have a druid, put one dog to sleep, if you have mage, sheep one, as for the last one it’s up to you. Send the warlock or hunter pet on it, or even, ask the warlock to cast fear the whole fight. (if you cleared the previous room entirely, there’s no risk in doing that)
Kill Loksey first, and then finish the easy dogs. Congratulations, you just finished 1/4 of the main quest.
Get moving fast though, because respawn rate is quite fast in Scarlet Monastery.
On the way toward the final boss of this part of the instance, you will meet new mobs, a bit higher in level than the rest: Scarlet Chaplain (priest type), Scarlet Monk (deals high melee damage, but low defense), Scarlet Diviner (casts fireball a lot, interrupt it).
You will finally reach the Athenaeum, where you will find the books you need to complete the Test of lore and Compendium of the fallen (Horde) and Mythology of the Titans (Alliance) as well as the mage quest Rituals of Power. Check the shelves at the spot shown on map. Also, if you have the quest Test of Lore, you will have to clear one of the little side rooms before reaching the Athenaeum, the book is on a table inside of it. (see map)
At the end of the library, you will find Arcanist Doan(lvl 37 Elite), he casts the following spells:
- Arcane Explosion, it’s an Area Effect spell, and he casts it a lot, so if you are not supposed to be meleeing him, stand away from it.
- AE Silence, he casts it from time to time, so make sure your casters are far away from him.
- Polymorph, sometimes he turns a group member into a sheep. If you have a Priest he can remove it with Dispel Magic, if you have a warlock, his Felhunter pet can remove it as well.
- Arcane Shield, he casts it once in the fight when you get a good chunk of his health down. He is immune to everything while this Shield is up, and it lasts about 10 seconds.
He is Immune to Stun, Silence, Shield bash, etc. But he is a caster and therefore doesn’t have much Hitpoints, even though he is a boss.
He can drop one of the following items:
As well as the Mantle of Doan or the Robe of Doan, so-so green items.
In the back of Arcanist Doan’s room, you will find a treasure box on the floor, open it, and you will aquire the key to the 2 last instance parts of the Scarlet Monastery.
Now on to the next step, the Armory.
Chapter II : The Armory
So you just entered the Armory. Now things get a bit more tough. First off, mobs are a bit higher level (highest being lvl 40, Herod himself). So I recommend your group is majorly lvl 36+
Secondly, most pulls are gonna be two or three mobs at a time. And there is also a few patrols, and of course, mobs have that annoying tendency to run away in fear. Things can get ugly quickly.
A few rules:
- Naturally, use every Humanoid crowd control spells / abilities your group has at disposal.
- Decide who is gonna be pulling (preferably the warrior, working together with the rogue (sap), if there is a rogue.)
- Pull WAY back, this is important, you need time to finish off mobs when they run away. People sometimes forget to snare on top…
- Decide who everybody will be Assisting (preferably not the warrior who will sometimes need to switch targets to taunt mobs off people)
- Kill casters first, they hurt the most. Scarlet conjurors have annoying Fire elemental as pets. They hurt but got low hit points. So if you don’t have a warlock in the group (who could banish them), kill them first right after the caster is dead.
- If there is no caster, kill Scarlet Myrmidons first, they do high damage, and they enrage when low on health, which turns them into killing machine, so finish them off quick when they enrage. The cool thing about them, is that they never run in fear.
- Scarlet Protectors are no harm, they are Paladins and can heal, but ONLY themselves, for some reason, they don’t heal other mobs. They have low dps, aren’t much of a threat, but take long to kill because of the self healing. So, save them for last.
- Be careful, there is about 4-5 patrols on the way to herod. You can pull every of those patrols solo if you are careful enough. So take your time and watch out for those.
- Respawn is fast, but still you have enough time to do everything carefully, so don’t be too hasty and wipe.
At the end of the armory is a big circle room, where Herod awaits his challengers.
Herod, The Scarlet Champion
Herod is tough, looks cool, and is a fun fight.
He hits pretty hard, and has a load of HPs. And some nasty abilities:
- Cleave – Hits an additional nearby target. This can be avoided if nobody else but the warrior is in close melee range.
Note: A Rogue can still be meleeing and avoid most cleaves if he is fighting Herod from behind, and at max possible melee range.
- Whirlwind – Herod starts to spin, and every nearby player gets hurt every 3 second for about 200dmg+ , this lasts about 9 seconds.
When this happens, whoever is in melee range, must back off fast, even the warrior. When he is done spinning, you can go back at him immediatly.
Note: Herod is immune to magic while he is doing Whirlwind.
- Immune to stun, silence, etc.
- When he is below 20% hit points, he enrages, and this is when he really hurts. So save up some mana / energy for this moment, and finish him off quickly.
- When Herod dies, about 20 Scarlet Trainees come into the room and try to avenge their fallen Hero. They are only lvl 30 and non-elite though. use AE to kill them all fast.
Congratulations, you cleared the Armory, and got your main quest 2/4 completed. Now only Scarlet Commander Mograine and High Inquisitor Whitemane are left on your kill list.
Herod can drop the following items:
Prepare for the last part of the instance now, The Chapel.
Chapter III : The Chapel
I would recommend your group having an average of lvl 40+ for this last part of the instance. Simply because the last fight includes fighting Mograine and Whitemane at the same time. And they are both boss mobs, and both lvl 42 Elite. If you are lvl 39 or lower, they will be Orange to you, you will hit them less often, less hard. They will hit you more and harder. This is why lvl 40 or higher is a big advantage here.
- Scarlet Centurion – Melee type, casts Battle Shout.
- Scarlet Wizard – Casts Arcane Explosion (Instant AE) and Fire Shield III – Kill them fast.
- Scarlet Champion – Melee type, hits hard – Special High damage attack: Holy Strike.
- Scarlet Abbot – Priest type, casts Renew and Heal. Must be interrupted and killed fast.
On Your Way to The Chapel
You will first have to go through a garden with a pool in the middle. The fastest way through it seems to be clearing a straight path to the pool, then move your whole group there. Then when your whole group is safely sitting in the middle of the pool, you can start pulling either left or right, towards the stairs to the upper level of the gardens.
Once you have cleared a path safe enough to move up, tell your group to do so, and establish your new camp on the upper level pool, right next to the fountain. It’s safe spot, nothing aggros there.
Now start pulling towards the Chapel’s gate. Pull the mobs carefully, there are lots of roamers here, and fight them inside the pool, in the middle of it.
Warning: Be extremely careful with runners here, as you don’t have much room for mistakes.
Once the path to the gate is open, call your group to move up the stairs, but don’t move inside the chapel yet.
You will first clear the beginning of the Chapel by pulling it outside, to the stairs. When you feel that you have cleared enough inside so it is safe enough to move in, do so.
At the end of the chapel is Scarlet Commander Mograine. There is one thing you need to know about him before you go further: when you attack Mograine, he calls for help, and the WHOLE Chapel will come to his aid. So before you aggro Commander mograine, clear EVERYTHING that is inside the chapel, including the back rooms to the side. Check every little corner before you attack him, because the next fight is quite something.
Scarlet Commander Mograine & High Inquisitor Whitemane
Engage Mograine when your group is fully ready, and warn them about a few things:
- Mograine is a paladin type mob – He uses Hammer of Justice (3 sec stun), Crusader Strike (increases holy dmg on target), and Divine Shield (invulnerable for 10 seconds). He hits hard and can take a lot of pain. Thanks god though, he doesn’t heal.
- When Mograine dies, High inquisitor Whitemane comes and attack your group – Whitemane isn’t much of a threat – she doesn’t hit hard, casts Holy Smite mainly, until she pulls out her ”special”.
- At some point, Whitemane will cast Area Effect Sleep, putting the whole party to sleep for about 10 seconds, and there is nothing you can do about it, it is part of the script. While your party is sleeping, she goes and Ressurects Scarlet Commander Mograine, and fully heals him.
- Don’t panic, send your warrior on Mograine to offtank him, and the rest of the group on Whitemane. Kill Whitemane fast, she doesn’t have much hit points, she is a caster type boss. When Whitemane is down, jump on Scarlet Commander Mograine and this time kill him for good.
Congratulations for overcoming this battle.
Scarlet Commander Mograine can drop the following:
He can as well drop the Scarlet Leggings, the same ones Herod drops.
High inquisitor Whitemane can drop :
You are done with the main quest now, but before leaving the instance, go to the little side room on the right, there is a torch in a corner, which is actually a switch to a secret room. Inside this room is High Inquisitor Fairbanks, which turns out to be an Undead (so much about Holy crusade), he is sleeping but will wake up if you get very close.
Anyway, he is an easy boss, casts sleep and curse of blood (physical damage taken increased), and powerword:shield.
He drops 3 top of the line random green items.
Also, before leaving the Chapel, check out the circle room where Whitemane was before she came to attack you. There is a treasure chest there most of the time.
Now is the time for you to go and turn in your main quest, and enjoy the rewards, which are totally great for this level. 🙂
I hope you enjoyed this guide through the Scarlet Monastery!