Leveling Inscription from 1 – 375Introduction
With the new expansion WoTLK coming, many new features have been added since patch 3.0.2. The new profession Inscription is one of them.
Inscription is different from any profession to date while utilizes a lot of traits for other professions. The biggest difference between Inscription versus any other profession is at skill level 50+, you can start making “end game” items and glyphs (end game in the sense that level 70-80 players will want to use the items you’ve created). Glyphs are unique in that typically no Glyph is “better” then another Glyph – each have their benefits depending on the situation. So whether your making a skill level 75 Glyph or a skill level 375 Glyph both could equally desirable.
Image of the new Glyph Window
How it Works: The Three Part Process
Inscription is a three part process: Herbs -> Pigment -> Ink -> Glyphs. To create pigments you will have to use the new “Milling” ability to turn stacks of 5 herbs into 2-3 pigments. The type of herb directly affects the type of pigments it creates (see table below). From there you can use pigments to create inks – some inks require a combination of pigments and lower level inks to create. Finally Glyphs generally require a mix of certain inks, parchments (new purchasable item), and herbs to create.
Types of Ink and How to Obtain Them
● Ivory Ink = 1 Alabaster Pigment. (Peacebloom, Silverleaf, Earthroot)
● Moonglow = 2 Alabaster Pigment. (Peacebloom, Silverleaf, Earthroot)
● Midnight = 2 Dusky Pigment. (Mageroyal, Briarthorn, Swiftthistle, Bruiseweed, Stranglekelp)
● Hunter’s = 1 Verdant Pigment. Uncommon (Mageroyal, Briarthorn, Swiftthistle, Bruiseweed, Stranglekelp)
● Lion’s = 2 Golden Pigment. (Wild Steelbloom, Grave Moss, Kingsblood, Liferoot)
● Dawnstar = 1 Burnt Pigment. Uncommon (Wild Steelbloom, Grave Moss, Kingsblood, Liferoot)
● Jadefire = 2 Emerald Pigment. (Fadeleaf, Goldthorn, Khadgar’s Whisker, Wintersbite)
● Royal = 1 Indigo Pigment. Uncommon (Fadeleaf, Goldthorn, Khadgar’s Whisker, Wintersbite)
● Celestial = 2 Violet Pigment. (Firebloom, Purple Lotus, Arthas’ Tears, Sungrass, Blindweed, Ghost Mushroom, Gromsblood)
● Fiery = 1 Ruby Pigment. Uncommon (Firebloom, Purple Lotus, Arthas’ Tears, Sungrass, Blindweed, Ghost Mushroom, Gromsblood)
● Shimmering = 2 Silvery Pigment. (Golden Sansam, Dreamfoil, Mountain Silversage, Plaguebloom, Icecap)
● Ink of the Sky = 1 Sapphire Pigment. Uncommon (Golden Sansam, Dreamfoil, Mountain Silversage, Plaguebloom, Icecap)
● Ethereal = 2 Nether Pigment. (Found from herbs native to Outland)
● Darkflame = 1 Ebon Pigment. Uncommon (Found from herbs native to Outland)
What to Save for Power Leveling Inscription
If you follow the list below you will need the following to level 1-375:
Any combination of stacks of 5 of the “OR” herbs listed below will work. Example: 60x Liferoot, 100x Kingsblood, 60x Wild Steelboom and 20x Grave Moss would be a total of 240 herbs from that block.
● 140x Peacebloom OR Silverleaf OR Earthroot
● 80x Mageroyal OR Briarthorn OR Swiftthistle OR Bruiseweed OR Stranglekelp
● 240x Wild Steelbloom OR Grave Moss OR Kingsblood OR Liferoot
● 280x Fadeleaf OR Goldthorn OR Khadgar’s Whisker OR Wintersbite
● 220(260 to be safe)x Firebloom OR Purple Lotus OR Arthas’ Tears OR Sungrass OR Blindweed OR Ghost Mushroom OR Gromsblood
● 220x Golden Sansam OR Dreamfoil OR Mountain Silversage OR Plaguebloom OR Icecap
● 400x Any native Outland herbs
There is an inscription 1-300 trainer in each of the 4 major cities in Azeroth (just ask a guard for the location) – to train from 300-375 you will need to head over to Hellfire Peninsula in Outland.
Elise Brightletter in Ironforge
Catarina Stanford in Stormwind City
Feyden Darkin in Darnassus
Thoth in The Exodar
Michael Schwan in Honor Hold (Master Trainer)
Jo’mah in Orgrimmar
Margaux Parchley in Undercity
Poshken Hardbinder in Thunder Bluff
Zantasia in Silvermoon City
Neferatti in Thrallmar (Master Trainer)
Notes on the Guide
Scroll of XXXX = Scroll of Agility/Intellect/Spirit/Stamina/Strength
Glyph of XXXX = The glyphs that are currently Orange(or JUST turned yellow) and require only 1 Ink when possible. (100% skill up) They normally come in 2’s or but occasionally come with just 1 glyph later on. You can do that one glyph or use some other glyph if you want. Any glyph will give 5 more 100% skill ups after it turns yellow, and the next 5 after that will be about 60% the time it will skill up.
1 to 20
Ivory Ink (1 Alabaster Pigment) x20
20 to ~38
Scroll of XXXX (1 Ivory Ink, 1 Light Parchment) x20
~38 to ~58
Moonglow Ink (2 Alabaster Pigment) x22
~58 to 75
Bleached Vellum (1 Moonglow Ink, 1 Light Parchment ) x~17
75 to 80
Midnight Ink (2 Dusky Pigment) x20
80 to 81
Minor Inscription Research (1 Moonglow Ink, 2 Light Parchment) x1 (and every 20 hours after that for quite a while)
81 to 100 – double check every glyph that requires 1 Midnight Ink, they change it up.
Glyph of XXXX (1 Midnight Ink, 1 Light Parchment) x20
100 to 105
Lion’s Ink (2 Golden Pigment) x65
105 to 125
Glyph of XXXX (1 Lion’s Ink, 1 Common Parchment) x26
125 to ~131
Dawnstar Ink (1 Burnt Pigment) x[All you found] (I had 14)
~131 to ~138
Strange Tarot (2 Dawnstar Ink, 1 Lion’s Ink, 1 Common Parchment) x[All you can] (I had mats for 7)
~138 to 150
Glyph of XXXX (2 Lion’s Ink, 1 Common Parchment) x13
150 to 155
Jadefire Ink (2 Emerald Pigment) x70
155 to 175
Glyph of XXXX (1 Jadefire Ink, 1 Common Parchment) x20
175 to 180
Royal Ink (1 Indigo Pigment) x[All you have] I had 15
180 to ~187
Arcane Tarot (2 Royal Ink, 1 Jadefire Ink, 1 Common Parchment) x[All you can] (I had mats for 7)
~187 to 200
Glyph of XXXX (2 Jadefire Ink, 1 Common Parchment) x20
200 to 205
Celestial Ink (1 Violet Pigment) x55
205 to 225
Glyph of XXXX (1 Celestial Ink, 1 Heavy Parchment) x20
225 to 235
Scroll of Agility IV (1 Celestial Ink, 2 Heavy Parchment) x11
235 to 240
Glyph of XXXX (2 Celestial Ink, 1 Heavy Parchment) x5
240 to 250 – Will probably be normalized to 2 Inks by live, but we’ll see.
Glyph of Cleaving (1 Celestial Ink, 1 Heavy Parchment) x10
250 to 255
Shimmering Ink (2 Silvery Pigment) x55
255 to 260
Scroll of Spirit V (1 Shimmering Ink, 1 Heavy Parchment) x5
260 to 275
Glyph of XXXX (1 Shimmering Ink) x15
275 to 290
Ink of the Sky (1 Sapphire Pigment) x15
290 to 300 This seems crazy, but the Ink of the Sky levels make up for these last 10.
Glyph of XXXX (1 Shimmering Ink, 1 Heavy Parchment) x~35
300 to 305
Ethereal Ink (2 Nether Pigment) x65
305 to 310
Glyph of XXXX (1 Ethereal Ink, 1 Heavy Parchment) x5
310 to 329
Glyph of XXXX (1 Ethereal Ink, 1 Resilient Parchment) x20
329 to 345
Glyph of XXXX (2 Ethereal Ink, 1 Resilient Parchment) x16
345 to 355 (Glyph of Whirlwind)
Glyph of XXXX (1 Ethereal Ink, 1 Resilient Parchment) x5
355 to 365
Glyph of XXXX (2 Ethereal Ink, 1 Resilient Parchment) x30
And you are done! Note that there is a new ink at 350 as well as Glyphs that uses the new ink – but they all require Northrend materials so I skipped it for this guide. 360-365 is BRUTAL as everything is green at this point. At 365 EVERYTHING turns gray – it is not possible to hit 375 at the moment.
Note that I did not write this guide, I just edited it. I did the Text Formatting, removed some things, added some things like images, etcetra.
Please note that all links are courtesy of WoWhead!
Please, leave a comment if:
You have any additional information that I should add to this guide.
You have any suggestions about the Text Formatting.
You want to leave a comment about how it worked out.