Note: This guide is updated for patch 3.3
Original author: Trollvink
Table of content.
This guide was originally created by Trollvink, sometime around the start of WotLK. I’ve revamped and updated it to take into account all the changes since then, and also to explain some of the things needed to become a good raiding enhancement shaman, such as Enhsim.
As an enhancement shaman you’re obviously a DPS class, and a support class. The idea is that shamans boost the damage of the whole raid! Just look at our (raid/group) buffs, Enhancement shamans bring the following buffs:
- Strength of Earth – This totem gives 155 strength and agility to the whole raid! Horn of Winter overwrites it, but if the shaman is specced for Enhancing Totems, Strength of Earth becomes better, and will overwrite Horn of Winter.
- Windfury Totem – This is a totem that gives a flat 16% melee haste, can be improved which makes it on par with the the DK version.
- Unleashed Rage – This is a talent you always pick up. The expertise is good, and the 10% more AP is very strong, and almost passive (as you will crit in the time you have this buff). The same as the DK version. Any Enhancement shaman should always take this, the expertise it gives is more then welcome.
- Flametongue Totem – This is totem that increases the spellpower of those in range, since you will be hitting the boss, and casters standing at a distance, the pure caster classes won’t gain the most out of it. You, on the other hand, get better shocks and lightning bolts / chain lightnings.
- Bloodlust / Heroism – This is our best buff. This is one of the major reasons to take a shaman to a raid. Don’t forget to pop this during the essential burst times in a raid.
- Healing / Mana Stream Totem – Depending on your group setup(since this one is not raid wide), this can be a very strong totem, if your in a melee group, you can probably better drop Healing Stream, but if you’re in a group that has mana problems, you can better use Mana Stream. Doesn’t stack with Blessing of Wisdom, nor does it overwrite it (unless one is improved and the other isn’t).
- Stoneskin Totem – Stacks with devotion aura. Raidwide.
- Wrath of Air – Again, this is not a recommended totem, the haste more of use for casters, and those will probably don’t get the buff. We have it, so I list it.
We still have a bunch of other totems, which I am not going to list here, since they are hardly used, click here for a list of totems.
This said, totems for the best buffs (for ourselves) are Strength of Earth, Flametongue Totem (if you have no elemental shaman and it’s not or Magma Totem, Windfury Totem and either Healing- or Mana Stream Totem.
- Magma totem for more personal DPS. Place near adds in encounters with adds. Refresh when you have spare GCDs.
- Flametongue totem if there is no elemental shaman. (In 5s, use magma)
Windfury, Stormstrike and Lava lash all do damage based on weapon damage, so the slower the weapon, the better. 2.6 and 2.7 will be the speed of your weapons.
A blue 2.6 speed is better than an epic ilevel 245 1.6 speed.
The most important stat to cap, this should be the first stat that you stack and cap. You only want to hit the spell hit cap, which is 17% which also caps your “specials”. Caps are as listed below.
17%- 446 hit rating.
16%- 420 hit rating (Draenei).
14%- 368 hit rating (Raid).
13%- 341 hit rating (Draenei Raid).
It should be noted that you should first cap for special attacks (8%), then get expertise capped, see below, and then get spell hit capped.
Expertise reduces the chance that a mob can dodge and parry your attacks. In most raid situations you’ll be attacking from behind so there is no chance of the target parrying, only dodging, and you’ll want to reduce this to 0%.
The cap to make mobs not be able to dodge is 6.50%. So if you are going to attack from behind, the amount of Expertise Rating you need is as follows:
6.50%- 214 Expertise Rating or 26 Expertise
6.50%- 140 Expertise Rating (This is only if you have Unleashed Rage, which increases your Expertise by 9 (not rating). This will take dodge off of the table, and since you are attacking from behind, the mob will not be able to parry).
Note that expertise rating is useless in attacks where the mob is always casting (Shade of Aran).
Haste vs. AP
After capping the above, you will want to raise one of these through gemming and enchanting as high as possible.
To find out what is best, use Enhsim/Rawr. (guide with pics inc).
You’ll need one Nightmare Tear to activate your meta.
Good for those with low crit rates (i.e, poorly geared people).
Acceptable alternative to Berserking if you need the hit.
This is the community certified priority list. Use the ability highest up on the list at any given GCD.
- LS_0 – Use Lightning Shield if you have no orbs left.
SW – Use wolves (time with BL if possible, and use your BL with it if you have sated)
SR – Cast Shamanistic Rage if the ability is off CD. (with 2p T10 should be used immediately)
SS_0 – Use Stormstrike if the debuff has worn off.
MW5_LB – Use lightning bolt on single target fights and chain lightning on multi target fights.
FE – Cast your fire elemental if it’s off CD. If you use this during CDs, you get more GCDs since you don’t have to drop magma.
MT_0 – Refresh magma totem if it’s expired.
FS – Flame shock if the target has no debuff.
ES – Cast earth shock when it’s off CD.
SS – Cast Stormstrike.
LL – Lavalash.
FN – Cast Fire Nova regardless of single target or AOE targets.
MT – Refresh magma totem if its nearly gone.
LS – Refresh lightning shield
- 19/52/0This build is your basic Enhancement build. If you find you have too much mana, remove mana talents and put points into Imp. Shields.
Making your own build
If, for some reason, you’d like to make your own build, remember this good tip from Chriske:
Rule: When selecting talents for mana regen purposes the following is true on a per point basis.
Shamanistic Rage > Improved Stormstrike > Shamanistic Focus > Elemental Focus
That’s it! With this information, you should be able to raid succesfully, goodluck!