You may have noticed some changes around the site. In this post I’ll discuss the changes, and also make everyone aware of some issues the site is having which will hopefully soon be fixed.
- There is now a search field available in the upper right corner of the site! This feature isn’t very sophisticated, but may help you locate information within the many guides here on WoW-Pro. I hope it’s helpful!
- Up until now we’ve been using guides as make-shift blogs for those who want them. Those who are already doing this can continue if you like, but we now have actual blogs available. You can create them in the same way you create guides. Simply select “Create Content” from the menu on the left side of your screen, and select “Blog entry” on the next page. You can see user’s blog posts from their profiles. New blog posts are promoted to the front page of the site just like new guides are. In the future I’ll be adding a link to browse through all blogs more easily.
Karma and Rank Issues
- I attempted to add some automated features to the Karma system. Unfortunately the system has been extremely buggy the last few weeks, and adding these features seems to have made things worse. Bugs include:
- Occasionally seeing a white screen with just a “1” on it after posting. This should now be fixed.
- Occasionally being stripped of you rank for no apparent reason. Please send me a PM if this happens to you – I think this should be fixed now, but I don’t know who it affected and I will need to fix the problem automatically.
- The rankings page, where you were once able to see the Karma numbers for everyone, is completely broken and has been for a while. No ETA on a fix, I’m basically waiting to hear back from Snowflake about it.
The end result of all this is that, aside from not being able to look up everyone’s Karma, you as users should no longer have any issues. The bad news is I had to remove all of the automation to get things to stop being buggy, so it will take me longer to moderate comments and award points.
Guide Category Pages
- Older users may remember a time when guide category pages showed a nice table with a pretty list of guides, authors, and ratings, instead of just a bulleted list of titles. Well, that type of view is on the way back! See the
- page to see what I mean. It will be a while before I get this view set up for every category page, but I will get it done eventually!
- Speaking of guide ratings, I just fixed up some things with this feature too. Ratings are now displayed at the top of guides, rather then at the bottom. They are also shown on the guide teasers on the front page. Additionally, there is now a feature by which you can rate guides when leaving a comment – just be aware that the rating you choose will be displayed to everyone who looks at the guide. I want to encourage everyone to please rate any guides you read – guide ratings are an important way to keep the quality of WoW-Pro guides high!
Guide Update and Purge
- I’m roughly halfway done with the guide update and purge. Once it is completed, I’ll be doing a
- overhaul of the needed guides page. There are a LOT of guides around the site that need to be updated. For many of these, their authors have not been online in a very long time. If you would like to adopt any of these guides, please comment on them or send me a PM. I’ve already had several people step up to help improve these guides, and I really appreciate it!
Keep up the good work everyone, I’ll do my best to get this site running even more smoothly as we move forward!