First off, this guide is going to specifically focus on helping Orcs who wish to be able to purchase a Raptor mount at level 60, and without spending unnecessarily on turn-in cloth. While the Forsaken and Blood Elves can also ride these mounts at exalted, they begin at neutral with the trolls, and thus will most likely spend considerably on cloth. (I’ve never tried to collect troll reputation with either of those races, so I don’t know for sure. In any event, this guide will still help you.)
– Why should I go to all the trouble?
Reputation with individual races within your faction has two benefits. At Honored reputation, you get a 10% discount with all vendor purchases; if you work all the way up to the highest level, Exalted, you become able to purchase that race’s unique mount. (Note: Tauren can only ride their racial mount, the Kodo, and the Orc’s wolf mount.)
Collecting Darkspear Troll reputation without relying on cloth purchases comes down to one thing, and one thing only – quests. There are many quests in the game that give you large chunks of reputation with a specific faction, and Trolls are no exception. I will be outlining the path to these large reputation gains in this guide. In addition, almost every other quest that gives you reputation with a Horde faction will give you what is referred to as “splash reputation” – reputation in smaller quantities. As there are a great many orc, tauren, and forsaken quests in the old world, splash reputation adds up significantly.
– Alright, alright, I get the point. Enough introduction! Where are the large quantities of Darkspear Troll reputation?
Pushy, aren’t they? Fine – here goes.
1. Complete every quest in Durotar. I’m completely serious. Every quest in the Valley of Trials, Sen’jin, Razor Hill and elsewhere gives a significant gain of Darkspear Troll reputation.
– Valley of Trials
– Razor Hill; don’t miss the guy in the watchtower above the outpost
– The goblin Rezlak, north of Razor Hill and just west of the road, with two quests involving Harpies
– The troll Rhinag, located in a cluster of rock halfway in between the road near Rezlak and the river
– Misha Tor’kren, located at the marked house on the map, northwest of Razor Hill with a quest called “Lost But Not Forgotten”
– After completing the quest at Razor Hill “Dark Storms”, you get a followup to an orc named Margoz. Find him – there’s a cave due east of Orgrimmar called Skull Rock, and Margoz can be found due south of that cave. Get his followup, and then go to Skull Rock. Collect the 6 collars required for Margoz, then search the cave for a level 14 orc called Gazz’uz. Kill him, loot the eye, and turn in at Neeru Fireblade in Orgrimmar.
2. There is a relatively high amount of splash reputation to be gained in the Barrens, as well as the level 20ish quest “Egg Hunt” and the final quest in the Barrens harpy chain which goes to Malaka’Jin in the Stonetalon Mountains.
3. At Malaka’Jin, there are two quests other than the turn-in. One at the small structure off the the right, involving spider slaying; the other, from the witch doctor in the cave.
4. At Grom’gol Base Camp in Stranglethorn Vale, there are two trolls surrounding a cauldron. Completing all their quests, including the one that is completed in the Hinterlands and the ones from the cauldron, are worth significant reputation.
5. There are trolls inside the outpost of Hammerfall. Completing all Stromgarde quest chains, plus other quests like the one to kill Marez Cowl and the raptor chain involving Gor’mul and Tor’gan, are worth significant reputation.
6. In southwestern Desolace is a troll-dominated village called Shadowprey. Complete all troll quests.
7. There are trolls at the Zoram Strand, located in the northwest of Ashenvale. Do these quests, then get the quests from the troll in the structure on the right side for Blackfathom Deeps.
Note – soloing instances is an ideal way to collect large amounts of wool, silk and mageweave for large chunks of troll reputation. Turn in 60 of each near the Orgrimmar mage trainers.
1. Blackfathom Deeps has an extremely high amount of troll reputation to be gained. First, you need to have the two quests from the Zoram Strand troll. Then, head to the caverns outside the actual BFD instance and kill Priestesses until you get the quest item “Damp Note”. Run back to the Zoram Strand, turn in and get the follow-up (so that you don’t need to make two instance runs). With these three quests in hand, enter the instance (completing the sapphire quest on the way). Find and get the quest from the Argent Guard, Thaelrid “Blackfathom Villiany”. Find and kill Lorgus Jett, then head to the pool. Upon retrieving the Fathom Core at the bottom, kill the elemental that spawns for yet another quest item. You should now have five quests. Complete them all, and turn them all in for nearly 2,000 troll reputation.
2. One of the mage trainers in Orgrimmar gives a quest to kill rock elementals just outside the actual Maraudon instance. Do so for solid reputation points.
(More to come in this section.)
Upon completing all these steps, you should be a fair distance into Revered. The rest of the ground can be made up easily by completing nearly any Horde quests you wish that are not handed out by a troll, in the form of splash reputation. Good luck!