This is a step-by-step guide on how to obtain The Master’s Key, which is needed to gain access to Karazhan, a 10-man Raid Instance in Deadwind Pass. My guide also covers pre-questing and attunements for all dungeons needed to complete the Karazhan attunement questline. It does not, however, cover Karazhan tactics and raid content, it is just a tool to prepare you for this instance.
I strongly advise you to have a coordinates add-on installed, as I will use coordinates throughout the guide.
I will be using the following color code: quests, NPCs, locations and quest items.
This is also my first guide, so please leave as much feedback as possible.
1. Travel to the Deadwind Pass and find Archmage Alrturus standing just outside the entrance to the instance (47,75). Get the quests Arcane Disturbances and Restless Activity.
2. At (48,78) go down one of the two entrances leading down into an underground cave. Clear your way to the pond and use the Violet Scrying Crystal next to the water. Go back up and this time go down the other entrance, the one leading down into a cellar. Clear the way to the well and use the Violet Scrying Crystal next to it. By now you should be done gathering Ghostly Essences for the other quest as well. If not, kill some more ghosts. When done with both quests return to Archmage Alrturus and turn in the two quests. Get the follow-up Contact from Dalaran.
3. Travel to the Alterac Mountains. Go to Archmage Cedric, who can be found on the outskirts of Dalaran (15,54). Turn in Contact from Dalaran and get the follow-up Khadgar.
4. Go to Khadgar in Shattrath City (54,44). Turn in Khadgar and get the follow-up Entry into Karazhan.
We are done with the pre-questing, now it’s instance time!
1. If you are attuned for The Shadow Labyrinth (or if you know you will group up with someone who can open this instance), skip this step. Get a group together and go to the Sethekk Halls in Auchindoun, Terokkar Forest. Kill the boss Talon King Ikiss and loot the Shadow Labyrinth Key.
2. Next we are going to get the First Key Fragment of the Karazhan key. Get a group together and go do the Shadow Labyrinth instance in Auchindoun, Terokkar Forest. At the end of the instance, in the room where you killed the last boss (Murmur) look for an Arcane Container, which looks like this. Make sure your group is ready, because when you open the container an elite First Fragment Guardian will spawn (looks like an elemental). Kill it and loot the First Key Fragment
3. Return to Khadgar in Shattrath City, turn in Entry into Karazhan and get the follow up The Second and Third Fragments.
4. Now we are going to obtain the Second Key Fragment. Get a group together and go to The Steamvault instance of the Coilfang Reservoir in Zangarmarsh. You don’t have to do the whole instance, as the Arcane Container is located in the pool of water to the right of the first boss (Hydromancer Thespia). Same thing – open the container, kill the Second Fragment Guardian and loot the Second Key Fragment.
The next part will be completed inside The Arcatraz. To access it you need a flying mount and the Key to the Arcatraz, which is obtained by completing a quest chain in Netherstorm. However, only one person in your group must have the key and the whole party can enter the instance. Additionally, a rogue with maxed out Lockpicking skill can open the entrance. If one of your party members has the key or can lockpick, then skip the following step and go directly to step 6.
5. Attunement for The Arcatraz
- Travel to Netherstorm and go find Nether-Stalker Khay’ji (32,64). Get the quest Consortium Crystal Collection from him.
- Go to (42,72), kill Pentatharon and loot the Arklon Crystal Artifact. Go back to Nether-Stalker Khay’ji, turn in Consortium Crystal Collection and get the follow-up A Heap of Ethereals.
- At (30,74) kill Ethereals until you have 10 Zaxxis Insignias. Go back to Nether-Stalker Khay’ji, turn in A Heap of Ethereals and get the follow-up Warp-Raider Nesaad.
- Kill Warp-Raider Nesaad (28,79), he can be soloed. Go back to Nether-Stalker Khay’ji, turn in Warp-Raider Nesaad and get the follow-up Request for Assistance.
- Go talk to Gahruj (47,57), turn in Request for Assistance and get the follow-up Rightful Repossession.
- Collect 10 Boxes of Surveying Equipment, which can be found at Manaforge Duro (56,64). Go back to Gahruj, turn in Rightful Repossession and get the follow-up An Audience with the Prince.
- Find the Image of Nexus-Prince Haramad in the Stormspire (46,36). Turn in An Audience with the Prince and get the follow-up Triangulation Point One.
- Go to (67,34) and right-click the Triangulation Device from your inventory. Follow the red arrow until you see something looking like a Hunter’s Mark pointing towards the ground. Stand on that spot and you should get the (quest complete) message.
- Go find Dealer Hazzin, located at (58,31). Turn in Triangulation Point One and get the follow up Triangulation Point Two.
- Again, use the Triangulation Device, this time at (28,41). Find the arrow that looks like the Hunter’s Mark and stand beneath it so you get the (quest complete) message.
- Go to Wind Trader Tuluman (34,37), turn in Triangulation Point Two and get the follow up Full Triangle.
- The next step is a bit harder, but certain classes might be able to solo it. If you want to try your luck solo, go to (53,20), where you will find Culuthas. Kill him and loot the Ata’mal Crystal from him. If you don’t manage to solo him, better find a group for this part.
- Go to the Image of Nexus-Prince Haramad inside The Stormspire (46,36). Turn in Full Triangle and get the follow up Special Delivery to Shattrath City.
- Travel to Shattrath City and talk to A’dal (54,44). Turn in Special Delivery to Shattrath City and get the follow up How to Break Into the Arcatraz.
- Time to do some instances! Get a group together and go do The Mechanar in Tempest Keep, Netherstorm. The Top Shard of the Arcatraz Key is looted from Pathaleon the Calculator. He is the last boss, so you will have to go through the whole instance. Also, a flying mount is required to reach this instance.
- For the Bottom Shard of the Arcatraz Key you must get a group together and go do The Botanica in Tempest Keep, Netherstorm. Again, do the whole instance, as the shard is looted from the last boss Warp Splinter. This instance also requires a flying mount to access.
- Once you have both key shards, return to A’dal in Shattrath (54,44) and turn in How to Break Into the Arcatraz to get the Key to the Arcatraz
6. Now get a group together for The Arcatraz in Tempest Keep, Netherstorm. The Arcane Container is found after the boss Zereketh the Unbound. You don’t have to kill him, just pass by him and go up the ramp. Pass the corridor and then in a room full of voidwalkers you have the container to the right as you enter the room. Open it, kill the Third Fragment Guardian that spawns and loot the Third Key Fragment. You don’t have to finish the rest of the instance.
7. Return to Khadgar in Shattrath City (54,44), turn in The Second and Third Fragments and get the follow up The Master’s Touch.
For the next part, you will need to be attuned for The Black Morass, so if you already are attuned skip the following step and go directly to step 9.
8. Attunement for The Black Morass
If you are attuned to The Old Hillsbrad, skip directly to point 4.
- To enter Black Morass you must first complete the Old Hillsbrad Foothills dungeon in the Caverns of Time. First, go to the Caverns of Time in Tanaris and find the Steward of Time (58,54). Dismount and get the quest To The Master’s Lair (you must be dismounted or you will get an error message and will have to abandon the quest and get it again).
- You will be taken to Andormu, turn To The Master’s Lair and get the follow-up The Caverns of Time.
- Follow the Custodian of Time around until you get the (quest complete) message. Go back to Andormu, turn in the quest and get the follow-up Old Hillsbrad.
- Time to do the Old Hillsbrad instance! Get a group together and go inside the instance, which is located in the Caverns of Time, Tanaris. Find Erozion at the end of the tunnel. Turn in Old Hillsbrad and get the follow up Taretha’s Diversion.
- Talk to the dragon next to you and ask him to take you to Durnholde Keep. After landing, clear your way to the lodges and use the Pack of Incendiary Bombs from your inventory on the barrels in each of the lodges.
- Clear the way to the prison to speak to Thrall, turn in Taretha’s Diversion and get the follow up Escape from Durnholde. This is an escort quest, and unlike other escort quests, this one will not prompt a dialog to all other party members to accept the quest. Instead, each party member has to accept the quest, then one of you must talk to Thrall again and confirm that the group is ready. If one party member doesn’t take the quest, you will have to redo the instance.
- Escort Thrall to Taretha, found inside the inn in Tarren Mill (the one inside the instance, of course). Once you reach her, the Epoch Hunter will spawn ouside the inn. Help Thrall kill him. WARNING: Don’t let Thrall die, or the quest will fail!
- Go back to Erozion at the entrance of the instance. Turn in Escape from Durnholde and get the follow up Return to Andormu.
- Exit the instance and go to Andormu in the Caverns of Time (58,54). Turn in Return to Andormu and get the follow-up The Black Morass. You are now attuned for The Black Morass.
9. Finally, form a group to go through The Black Morass in the Caverns of Time, Tanaris. Make sure your entire group has done the Black Morass attunement first. Turn in The Black Morass to Sa’at inside the instance and get the follow-up The Opening of the Dark Portal.
10. Complete opening the Dark Portal to be able to talk to Medivh in the instance, turn in The Master’s Touch and get the follow up Return to Khadgar. And while you’re here, go back to Sa’at, turn in The Opening of the Dark Portal and get the follow-up Hero of the Brood, if you haven’t done this already (Hero of the Brood is turned in at Andormu outside the instance).
11. Travel back to Shattrath City. Turn in Return to Khadgar at Khadgar and you will receive The Master’s Key.
Congratulations, you are now attunned to Karazhan!
You can take the quest The Violet Eye from Khadgar to continue the Karazhan quest line, but we won’t be doing it in the guide.