Update number 3: Added some more glyphs and removed old ones. Also added wowwiki links to all the factions, and some more buff food.
Update number 2: Added a consumables list!
Update: Added a bit more formatting to the list, Glyphs and more comments on enchant choices! Also added wotlkwiki links to the factions needed for head and shoulders enchant. These pages also provide reputation guides.
This list contains all the new Wrath of the Lich King gems, enchants and glyphs that are useful for a hunter. Other classes that benefit from almost the same stats (such as rogues) may find something useful in here as well. This list focuses mainly on agility, (ranged) attack power, hit, crit, intellect, stamina, haste, armor penetration and probably some other bizzare physical DPS stat that i forgot to mention here.
The items listed with the “Also good” tag are, as suggested, also good, but slightly inferior to the rest.
Sometimes I will be listing an optional hit rating enchant that, once you are hit capped, can be replaced with something else.
Any questions/suggestions and such will be taken into consideration, so feel free to leave feedback.
Anyway, enough talking, on with the list!
- Arcanum of Torment (Knights of the Ebon Blade – Revered)
- “Old-world”: Glyph of Ferocity (Cenarion Expedition – Revered)
- Master’s Inscription of the Axe (Inscribers ONLY)
- Greater Inscription of the Axe (The Sons of Hodir – Exalted)
- Also good: Lesser Inscription of the Axe (The Sons of Hodir – Honored)
- “Old-world” alternatives:- Greater Inscription of Vengeance (The Aldor – Exalted)
– Greater Inscription of the Blade (The Scryers – Exalted)
Note: If you don’t have time to start farming the rep, the “old-world” versions of the head and shoulders enchants are a perfectly viable alternative if you can buy them.
Note: Generally, MM hunters should focus on attack power, SV on agility, while BM are given a bit more allowance, though keep in mind that agility will also give you crit rating. My advice for beast masters is to choose depending on your lowest stat: if you have low AP get an AP enchant, low crit rating means getting an agility enchant.
- Icescale Leg Armor
- Nerubian Leg Reinforcements (Leatherworkers ONLY)Note: Leatherworkers, don’t bother with the Icescale Leg Armor, the mats for the leg reinforcements are cheaper.
- Also good: Nerubian Leg Armor
Note: These shouldn’t be very expensive as leatherworkers learn them from trainers and make them while they level up their profession skill.
Note: Same rules as the “Hands” section apply here.
Note: No, at the moment, there is no agility enchant higher than the BC one (35 agi). Sad, isn’t it? 🙁
- Exceptional Agility
- Superior Potency
- Also good: Greater Potency
- If you are low on hit rating: Accuracy
- Heartseeker Scope
- Also good: Sun Scope
- If you are low on hit rating: Biznicks 247×128 AccurascopeNote: The pattern and mats are very hard to get (drops in Molten Core), so this is a very rare (and expensive) scope.
The gems are classified under the color of the socket they can fill, followed by the color of the actual gem. Only the prefixes are listed. The wowhead links will take you to a list with all the gems that have those prefixes, thus being very handy for finding a gem of a certain quality.
- Balanced – attack power/stamina
- Infused – attack power/mp5
- Puissant – armor penetration rating/stamina
- Shifting – agility/stamina
- Tenuous – agility/mp5
- Deadly – agility/critical strike rating
- Deft – agility/haste rating
- Glinting – agility/hit rating
- Pristine – attack power/hit rating
- Stark – attack power/haste rating
- Wicked – attack power/critical strike rating
- Forceful – haste rating/stamina
- Jagged – critical strike rating/stamina
- Lambent – hit rating/mp5
- Sundered – critical strike rating/mp5
- Vivid – hit rating/stamina
Note: I chose not to include any blue gems here simply because there are no blue gems that have better stats for a hunter than say a purple or green gem.
- Relentless Earthsiege Diamond – agility/increased critical damage
Note: I haven’t included all hunter glyphs in the list, as not all offer big DPS boosts. I chose to list only a select few. Nevertheless, here is the complete list.
- Glyph of Explosive ShotMust-have for Survival hunters. Keep in mind that now each tick of the DoT also has a chance to crit, making this glyph even better.
- Glyph of Chimera shotMust-have for Marksmanship hunters, whose bread-and-butter is the Chimera Shot. Will also allow you to better fit this shot into your rotation.
- Glyph of Bestial WrathMust-have for Beast Mastery hunters, combined with Longevity it takes your Bestial Wrath cooldown to a whopping 1.17 minutes (approx. 70 seconds)!
- Glyph of Kill ShotGood for all specs, though Survival will benefit the most from it because of the Sniper Training talent.
- Glyph of Serpent StingWill add one extra tick. Works well with Glyph of Steady Shot.
- Glyph of Steady ShotUsable by all specs.
Note: Minor glyphs are really more utility-based than DPS, so I only list 2 that are the most useful. You can choose a third one from this list.
- Glyph of Feign DeathLower FD cooldown means more efficient DPS as you can dump your aggro more often. Usable by all specs.
- Glyph of Mend PetWill increase your pet’s happiness by 20 on the first tick. Useful for long boss fights when your pet suddenly decides he’s hungry or when you just resurrected him as an emergency in-combat Feed Pet. Usable by all specs.
Note: Plenty of buff food to choose from, so I recommend you follow the same advice I gave you on enchant choices. Also, most of the food below gives very similar buffs, and in some cases, even the same.
- Baked Manta Ray
- Blackened Dragonfin
- Grilled Sculpin
- Imperial Manta Steak
- Mammoth Meal
- Mega Mammoth Meal
- Poached Nettlefish
- Poached Northern Sculpin
- Roasted Worg
- Snapper Extreme Good if you are low on hit rating!
- Spiced Wyrm Burger
- Spicy Blue Nettlefish
- Very Burnt Worg
- Wyrm Delight
- If you have a cook in your raid, you can take any of the feasts available.Note: I still recommend you buy/make your own food, though, you can make as many as you need and you can choose which stats to focus on.
- Spiced Mammoth Treats Your pet needs buff food too!
- Elixir of Accuracy Great if you are low on hit rating!
- Elixir of Armor Piercing
- Elixir of Deadly Strikes
- Elixir of Lightning Speed
- Elixir of Mighty Agility
- Guru’s Elixir
- Wrath Elixir
- Elixir of Mighty Thoughts Excellent if you have the Careful Aim talent!
- Elixir of Mighty Fortitude
- Elixir of Mighty Mageblood
- Certificate of Ownership You know you love it 😛
- Saronite Arrow Maker
- Ultrasafe Bullet MachineNote: The Mammoth Cutters and Saronite Razorheads are the best ammo in the game at the moment.
- Heavy Frostweave Bandage
And that concludes the list for now, but I will do my best to keep it updated.
Again, comments, suggestions and constructive criticism is encouraged!