Table of content:
This is a guide which will tell which talents are the best to choose while leveling, also what rotation you should do, what kind of stats you should be focusing on and some tips. This is based on my opinion, that’s why it’s an Enhancement leveling guide in the first place :). I have included alot of feedback, too, and I will change this guide when the class will change too.
Click on this arrow:
To go to the top of the page.
The best (solo) leveling spec for the shaman is Enhancement. This is because it’s the most mana efficient tree there is, while it still maintains a lot of damage, in fact the shaman deals the most damage with minimum mana useage (with duel wield, that is). This only counts after level 40, though, and before that you might try Elemental. Elemental is our Casting spec, with it, we boost our Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, Shocks and Totems.
I could write an Elemental leveling guide, but thats not needed. Browsing at the Wowhead forums brought me a guide for elemental leveling. Read CanadianSnipers’ Elemental Leveling Guide if you choose to level as Elemental. That guide can take you to level 80.
If you want to level as Enhancement all the way, then read further. Otherwise, you could pick up the guide from level 40 and get some gear from the Auction House.
10 – 14:
Ancestral Knowledge – 5/5.
15 – 19:
Thundering Strikes – 5/5
Shamanistic Focus – 1/1
21 – 22:
Improved Ghost Wolf – 2/2
23 – 24:
Elemental Weapons – 2/3 (only 2)
25 – 29:
Flurry – 5/5
Spirit Weapons – 1/1
31 – 33:
Mental Dexterity – 3/3
Elemental Weapons – 3/3.
35 – 37:
Unleashed Rage – 3/3
38 – 39:
Weapon Mastery – 2/3 (only 2)
Stormstrike – 1/1
Dual Wield – 1/1
42 – 44:
Dual Wield Specialization – 3/3
Lava Lash – 1/1
46 – 47:
Improved Stormstrike – 2/2
48 – 49:
Static Shock – 2/3 (only 2)
Shamanistic Rage – 1/1
Static Shock – 3/3
52 – 54:
Mental Quickness – 3/3
55 – 59:
Maelstrom Weapon – 5/5
Feral Spirit – 1/1
We are now moving to the Elemental tree.
61 – 65:
Concussion – 5/5
66 – 68:
Elemental Devastation – 3/3
69 – 70:
Elemental Warding – 2/3
71 – 75:
Elemental Fury – 5/5
Elemental Focus – 1/1
77 – 80:
Reverberation – 4/5
Click here for the build. This spec is made for solo gameplay, keep that in mind when your asked for an instance, group, or whatever.
Always take weapons with the highest min/max. damage range. These are usually slow weapons.
1 – 9.
- Until you gain Earth Shock, simply spam Lightning Bolt.
- When you get Earth Shock, use it when your target is in melee range, and use Lightning Bolt until a mob is near you.
- Keep up Lightning Shield always.
- Enchant your weapon with Rockbiter.
- Use the best DPS weapon, be it a 1h + shield or 2H (the slow weapon part does not apply here, because we don’t have Windfury yet)Rotation: Auto attack + Earth Shock. Pull with Lightning Bolt. Always keep up Lightning Shield.
10 – 19.
- Same as above but:
- Use Flametongue instead of Rockbiter.
- You might want to use a fast weapon, so that Flametongue hits more (which does more damage than it would on a slow weapon).Rotation: Lightning Bolt, until the mob is near you, then spam Earth Shock while auto attacking. Again, always keep up Lightning Shield.
20 – 29.
From now on, we will be using a method I call â€˜Shield Twisting’. All you do is keeping a balance between Lightning Shield and Water Shield. Water Shield gives mana, but more then we need. Lightning Shield gives free damage, so keep a nice balance between those two ability’s.
30 – 39.
- Use the Windfury weapon enchant.
- Always take a 2H weapon with a speed of 3.0 or more.
- Don´t forget the Shield Twisting method.Rotation: Pull with Lightning Bolt, then Auto attack + Earth Shock.
40 – 49.
Okay, so you´ve made it to level 40. Ready to rock? Because now we get our key ability’s. Between these levels we get Dual Wield, Stormstrike and Lava Lash. The fun can now start!
- Start dual wielding at level 44, otherwise you will miss too much without the +hit talents. Also put Windfury on both weapons.Rotation: Stormstrike > Earth Shock > Lava Lash > Shield Twist.
Note: Although I call this a rotation; you’ll notice that, after a while, you’ll simply be using the first ability that pops up from the cooldown. That’s why you’ll see “priority list” instead of “rotation” next time.
50 – 75.
As explained up here, you’ll now rather have a priority list rather than a rotation.
- Use Shamanistic Rage when you’re out of mana.
- Again, don’t forget the Shield Twisting method.Priority list: Stormstrike > Earth Shock > Lava Lash.
Whenever you have 4/5 or 5/5 Mealstrom Weapon, use Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning, (use Chain Lightning only on AoE). Try to have the Stormstrike debuff on the target before pulling this one out. Do this when their is a gap between the cooldowns.
75 – 80.
- Use Windfury weapon enchant on main hand and Flametongue on your off-hand. Still take a slow off-hand (Because of Stormstrike, Lava Lash and Windfury will still be used.
- Use Shamanistic Rage at 40% mana, or at least close to. And always use it when you’re about to start a fight, since it â€˜procs‘ from attacks, you’ll want to make the most of it every time you use it.
- Again, don’t forget the Shield Twisting method.Priority list: Stormstrike > Earthshock > Lava Lash.
Again, do a 5/5 Mealstrom Weapon when their is a gap between your cooldowns.
- Use Earthliving if you are going to heal for an instance.
- Whenever you are at a boss fight, drop: Strenght of Earth, Flametongue totem, Windfury Totem and Healing/Mana stream totem.Solo.
- Just heal yourself with Lesser Healing Wave whenever you need to heal. Once you get Maelstrom Weapon, use that to do instant/short Healing Wave‘es
- If you’re multipulling, use your Stoneclaw Totem to crowd control.
- You can also pop your Spirit Wolves to help with the crowd, since they can heal you.Professions.
- The best options are Skinning/Mining, because they make lots of money. Skinning gives critical strike rating and mining gives extra stamina, which scales with buffs like Blessing of Kings. These bonuses are small and not needed at all, and you can pick up any proffesion.
In the following order: Stamina > Agility >Intellect > ManaPer5Sec > Strength.
1 – Stamina:
- Needed for health.
2 – Agility Needed for Attack Power and Critical strike chance. Also gives armor and dodge, but that’s not why we’re using it.
3 – Intellect: Needed for mana, also gives spell critical strike chance. Needed for everything, and gives attack power because of the talent Mental Dexterity.
4 – Mana Per 5 Seconds: You won’t see this alot until outland, but Water Shield gives this, too. It basicly gives you a certain amount of mana every five seconds. But since patch 3.0 we see mana flowing in very smooth, but the term “MP/5” is still used.
5 – Strength: Needed for Attack Power. Since Shamans gained attack power from Agility, and Intellect, this stat has lost his power. Let’s just say that this stat is not bad to take. But don’t go for it.
Here I will show some gear you can pick up while leveling, although this guide is aimed at solo gameplay, going to an instance or two isn’t a bad idea.
Weapons & Shield’s
Combinations have the same color, and are under each other.
10 – 20:
- Lvl 15 – 2H –
- Lvl 18 – 2H –
Taskmaster Axe20 – 30:
- Lvl 20 – 2H –
- Lvl 27 – 2H –
- Lvl 37 – 2H –
- Lvl 35 – 1H –
Note: you can get this weapon at level 35, but this thing is very powerful. It can last ’till Outland. Imo, this weapon is a good choice you won’t regret – Thanks to Lycander for letting me know about this weapon.40 – 50, you can Dual Wield now.
- Lvl 43 – 1H –
- Lvl 45 – 1H –
Ripsaw50 – 60:
- Lvl 51 – 1H –
- Lvl 50 – 1H –
- [A]Lvl 60 – 1H –
- [H]Lvl 60 – 1H –
High Warlord’s BludgeonFor more items, use http://www.wowhead.com/
Im not going to write a walkthrough for every quest, but I give the links to first part of the quests.
Call of Earth.
Call of Fire
Call of Water
Call of Air
The air totem quest for Orcs/Trolls
The air totem quest for Taurens
If you by accident accept the quest that will teleport you on a mountain, don’t be afraid and jump off the wooden plank, you will be teleported back to the quest giver!
The air totem quest for Draenei’s
Click here for a list of Shaman glyphs.
The following glyph’s are a good choice for enhancement:
Here are some addons specific for the shaman.
- Call of Element’s An addon which shows bars for your totems, tells you when you need to pull a totem, tells when your totems are destroyed and tells you when your weapon enchant is expired.
An addons which tells you when your Water Shield/Lightning/Earth shield fade’s.
- Windfury Cooldown Timer
This addon shows the invisible cooldown of Windfury, if you want, you can use Stormstrike or Lava Lash so that it can proc Windfury.
Click here for a list of shaman addons.
Useful Addons while leveling:
- RatingBuster, The design aim of RatingBuster is to provide detailed, meaningful and customizable information about items so you can easily decide for yourself which item is better.
- AutoProfitX , Adds a button to a vendor-window which, if you click on it, makes you sell all the gray items in your inventory.
- XBar, Makes bars for things like Tracks, Buffs, Companions, and of course, Totems!
- ArkInventory, is a bag addon, which allows you te create seperate windows for different stuff, also shows the vendor price of items.
.Special thanks to:
And especially Brune, he is a P.I.T.A, but knows alot about the shaman class, too :P.