rpotor's Alliance Leveling Guide - Gilneas (1-13)
This guide covers the worgen starter zone. As such it is of use for Alliance players only.
Please be aware that this guide is currently based on Cataclysm beta, but it should be fairly accurate when the servers come online on 07 December. As you all know, Cataclysm beta has ended, so the guide remains as-is until the launch of Cataclysm. As soon as the expansion hits the live servers I'm going to level a fresh worgen using this guide to double-check everything again.
I'm trying to explain where everything is in the guide, but most of the objective locations are quite straightforward. If you still get stuck somewhere, try using the built-in quest tracking on the world map, it's absolutely awesome, it shows exactly where you need to go.
Thanks to Bitsem, coordinates for important locations and NPCs are now included in the guide through level 11 (more coords to come soon [TM]).
Anyway without any more wall of text, let's go on with the actual guide.
Please post any feedback, errors, or suggestions as comments.
- Quest objectives to kill
After creating your brand new worgen, you'll find yourself as an ordinary human citizen in Gilneas City, currently under siege by worgen forces. Your first few levels will take place in an instanced area, similar to the Death Knight starting area.
1. Get the quest  Lockdown! from Prince Liam Greymane (59.1,24.0)) right in front of you.
2. Go north and then west along the street to Lieutenant Walden (54.7,16.8 ) (corpse on the ground in front of a city gate) and turn in  Lockdown!, get  Something's Amiss.
3. Go back to Prince Liam Greymane (59.7,22.1), turn in  Something's Amiss, get the quests:
-  All Hell Breaks Loose
-  Evacuate the Merchant Square
4. Go a few steps south and get the quest  Salvage the Supplies from Gwen Armstead (59.6,27.0). It's worth noting that there's a mailbox in the middle of the square, so if you have a BoA item sent from a main character or an account-wide pet, this might be a perfect time to retrieve them.
5. Continue south down the street and start killing Rampaging Worgens. They are all over the place fighting with the city guards. While killing look for Supply Crates near the buildings and collect them.
Also click on Merchant Square Doors.
Do this until you kill 8 Rampaging Worgens, collected 4 Salvaged Supplies and opened 4 Merchant Square Doors.
6. Go back north to Gwen Armstead (59.6,27.0), turn in  Salvage the Supplies.
7. Further north go back to Prince Liam Greymane (59.7,22.1), turn in  All Hell Breaks Loose and  Evacuate the Merchant Square. Get  Royal Orders.
1. Go southeast across the Merchant Square, down some steps and through a bridge. Turn in  Royal Orders to Gwen Armstead (70.8,55.2) standing on the other side of the bridge. Accept the quest she offers you, which will guide you to your class trainer. The quest you get depends on your class:
- Warrior -  Your Instructor
- Rogue -  Someone's Looking for You
- Warlock -  Shady Associates
- Hunter -  Someone's Keeping Track of You (71.4,61.3)
- Mage -  Arcane Inquiries
- Priest -  Seek the Sister
- Druid -  The Winds Know Your Name... Apparently
2. Go south a few yards down the street, find your class trainer and turn in your quest. Get the follow up depending on your class:
- Warriors get  Charge from Sergeant Cleese
- Rogues get  Eviscerate from Loren the Fence
- Warlocks get  Immolate from Vitus Darkwalker
- Hunters get  Steady Shot from Huntsman Blake (71.4,61.3)
- Mages get  Arcane Missiles from Myriam Spellwaker
- Priests get  Flash Heal from Sister Almyra
- Druids get  Healing Touch from Celestine of the Harvest
3. Complete your training quest by purchasing the required ability from your quest trainer and turn the quest in to him/her.
4. Get  Safety in Numbers from your class trainer.
5. Continue further south on the street and turn in  Safety in Numbers to King Genn Greymane (65.9,77.6). Get  Old Divisions from him.
6. Get the quest  While You're At It from Lord Godfrey (65.4,77.5) standing next to the king.
7. Go northwest towards the prison building (57.7,73.3) and kill 5 Bloodfang Worgens on the way.
8. Turn in  Old Divisions to Captain Broderick standing in front of the prison building (57.8,75.7). Get the quest  The Prison Rooftop from him. Go up the stairs behind Captain Broderick then continue along the walkway to the balcony.
Turn in  The Prison Rooftop to Lord Darius Crowley (55.2,63.2). Get the quest  By the Skin of His Teeth from him.
9. Worgen will attack you right after you accept the quest, keep killing them. After 2 minutes you'll receive a message that you were successful and you can then turn in  By the Skin of His Teeth to Lord Darius Crowley (55.2,63.2).
10. Get the follow up quest,  Brothers in Arms from him.
11. Leave the balcony along the walkway, get down the stairs and go back southeast to King Genn Greymane (65.9,77.6).
12. Turn in  Brothers in Arms to the king and  While You're At It to Lord Godfrey (65.4,77.5).
13. Get  The Rebel Lord's Arsenal from King Genn Greymane (65.9,77.6).
1. Go southwest along the road and turn north on the corner to find a cellar door (55.6,81.7).
Click it and it will open, revealing a staircase. Go down the stairs to the cellar and turn in  The Rebel Lord's Arsenal to Josiah Avery (56.8,85.1).
2. He will turn into a worgen and bite you. After that, Lorna Crowley (56.9,81.6) will spawn at the stairs behind you and shoot him for good. Get the quest  From the Shadows from her.
3. You'll get a Gilnean Mastiff pet, which will follow you around. Go up the stairs out of the cellar.
Use your pet's Attack Lurker ability (found on the pet action bar). He will run away and reveal a Bloodfang Lurker. Help your dog kill it. Repeat this process six times until you complete your quest.
4. Go back down the stairs to the cellar and turn in  From the Shadows to Lorna Crowley (56.9,81.6). Get  Message to Greymane.
5. Go up the stairs out of the cellar, turn left and go around the building. King Genn Greymane (59.2,83.7) will be just around the corner behind a makeshift barricade. Turn in  Message to Greymane to him.
6. Get the quest  Save Krennan Aranas from King Genn Greymane (59.2,83.7).
A horse will spawn under you and start galloping on a scripted path along the streets with hostile worgen everywhere.
It will come to a stop under a tree where Krennan Aranas (66,62) is hanging from a branch and a message will pop up to use your mount's ability.
Quickly click the Rescue Krennan ability on your mount's action bar because the worgens will keep attacking you. When you click the ability the horse will take you back to the safe zone (56.5,78.1).
7. Go to your left and turn in  Save Krennan Aranas to Lord Godfrey (55.7,80.8 ). Get  Time to Regroup.
1. Go west, then south along the streets then through a bridge west into the Greymane Court district. Continue northwest along the street and turn in  Time to Regroup to King Genn Greymane (30.4,73.1).
2. Get  Sacrifices from Lord Darius Crowley (31.3,72.4), standing next to the king.
3. Mount Crowley's Horse, standing next to Lord Darius Crowley. The horse will take you along a scripted path with worgens having fun on the streets all around.
You'll have to use your mount's Throw Torch ability while riding.
A green targeting circle will appear when you use it. Target as many worgen as you can to get them to follow you.
Repeat this until you round up 50 worgens. Don't worry if you can't get enough by the time you reach the Light's Dawn Cathedral, after you dismount you can mount the horse again and go on another round of worgen hunting.
4. Turn in  Sacrifices to Tobias Mistmantle (40.6,39.4), standing where you dismount your horse in front of the cathedral gates.
5. Get  By Blood and Ash from Tobias Mistmantle.
6. Hop on one of the cannons positioned in front of the cathedral and blast away at the worgens all around using the cannon's Rebel Cannon ability.
7. After you killed 100 Bloodfang Stalkers using the cannon, get out of it and turn in  By Blood and Ash to Tobias Mistmantle (40.6,39.4).
8. Get  Never Surrender, Sometimes Retreat from Tobias Mistmantle (40.6,39.4).
9. Go inside the cathedral and turn in  Never Surrender, Sometimes Retreat to Lord Darius Crowley (48.8,52.6). Get  Last Stand.
10. Kill 8 Frenzied Stalkers inside the cathedral and turn in  Last Stand to Lord Darius Crowley.
After you do that, a movie will play (not in the beta as of this writing, just a placeholder yell by Darius Crowley) showing you turning into a worgen thanks to the bite you received earlier and when you get control back again, you'll be in Duskhaven imprisoned in a wooden stock, unable to move.
11. Get  Last Chance at Humanity from King Genn Greymane (36,61) standing right in front of you. After you do that, you will be released and you will be able to move around once again.
1. Get  Among Humans Again from Lord Godfrey (36.5,62.3).
2. Turn in  Among Humans Again to Krennan Aranas (37.4,63.3) (first house on your left to the south). Get  In Need of Ingredients from him.
3. Go southwest of Duskhaven and turn in  In Need of Ingredients at the Crate of Mandrake Essence (32.8,66.4).
4. After a short cinematic, get  Invasion from the Slain Watchman (32.8,66.2) next to the crate. When you accept the quest, a Forsaken Assassin will attack you, so be ready!
5. Go back to Duskhaven and turn in  Invasion at Gwen Armstead (37.4,63.3) (she is apparently sharing a house with Krennan Aranas now...) Get  Kill or Be Killed from her.
6. Go out of the village and turn in  Kill or Be Killed to Prince Liam Greymane (35.9,66.1). Get both quests he has:
-  Hold the Line
-  You Can't Take 'Em Alone
7. Go south down the hill and start killing Forsaken Invaders. While killing them, also loot 4 Black Gunpowder Kegs (you can find them under the sheds and the windmills downhill).
Go close to a Horrid Abomination, target it and use a Black Gunpowder Keg from your inventory. Prince Liam Greymane will shoot the keg from afar and effectively blow up the abomination. Quite hilarious actually.
Kill 10 Forsaken Invaders and blow up 4 Horrid Abominations.
8. Go back to Liam Greymane up the hill and turn in your quests:
-  Hold the Line
-  You Can't Take 'Em Alone
Get the quest  Holding Steady from him.
9. Go back to the village and turn in  Holding Steady at Gwen Armstead (37.4,63.3). Get  The Allens' Storm Cellar from her.
1. Leave the village on the road leading west, get to the Allen Farmstead (28.5,64.3) and turn in  The Allens' Storm Cellar to Lord Godfrey (28.9,63.9) (he is in the cellar of the big building in the middle of the field).
Get the quests from Lord Godfrey
-  Unleash the Beast
-  Two By Sea
Get the quest  Save the Children! from Melinda Hammond (28.9,64.0) (standing next to Lord Godfrey)
2. Go a little bit south to the neighboring Hammond Farmstead and talk to the three children, Cynthia (29.6,69.3) (outside, southwest of the house, in front of a shed storing some barrels), Ashley (27.9,66.5) (upstairs in the house) and James (28.6,66.6) (just outside the house, next to a cart).
3. From the house, go south towards the catapults stationed on the field. Kill Forsaken Footsoldiers on your way.
Get to one of the catapults and kill the Forsaken Machinist operating it.
4. Get into the catapult and aim it on the deck of the ship closer to you to the south. Pro tip: you can move around with the catapult to get closer to the ship for better aim.
When you aimed it, use the catapult's Launch ability to launch yourself onto the ship.
Go down the stairs and kill Captain Anson (23.9,75.0).
5. Get off the ship and kill the operator of another catapult, move into range of the other ship and launch yourself onto its deck. Go down the stairs and kill Captain Morris (27.2,80.0).
6. Kill more Forsaken Sailors on the ships or Forsaken Footsoldiers on the field where the catapults are located if you still haven't completed  Unleash the Beast. When you're done, go back north to the Allen Farmstead.
At Lord Godfrey (28.9,63.9), turn in:
-  Unleash the Beast
-  Two By Sea
Turn in  Save the Children! to Melinda Hammond (28.9,64.0).
7. Get  Leader of the Pack from Lord Godfrey (28.9,63.9).
8. Go west along the road to the house on the shore. Dark Ranger Thyala (23.9,67.4) stands in front of it on a horse. Target her and use your Mastiff Whistle. The dogs will tank her nicely, so you can kill her easily.
9. After you finished her, go back to the Allen Farmstead and turn in  Leader of the Pack to Lord Godfrey (28.9,63.9). Get  As the Land Shatters.
1. Get out of the basement and turn in  As the Land Shatters. to Prince Liam Greymane (29.1,64.9) standing outside on a somewhat changed shoreline... Get Gasping for Breath from him.
2. Jump in the water and swim to a Drowning Watchman (they're under the water's surface).
Click on him and swim back to the shore. Repeat this 4 times to complete the quest.
Turn in  Gasping for Breath to Prince Liam Greymane (29.1,64.9). Get  Evacuation.
3. Go back to Duskhaven and turn in  Evacuation to Gwen Armstead (37.6,65.2). Get all her quests:
-  Grandma Wahl
-  The Hayward Brothers
-  The Crowley Orchard
4. Go south to the Crowley Orchard. Turn in  The Crowley Orchard to Lorna Crowley (37.8,72.8 ). Get  The Hungry Ettin from her.
5. Go southeast across the bridge (watch out for the 2-headed ettin, don't aggro it) and hop on one of the Mountain Horses.
Target a Mountain Horse and use your horse's Round Up Horse ability to make it follow you.
Round up 4 horses and ride back to Lorna Crowley. Turn in  The Hungry Ettin to her.
6, Go west to the Wahl Cottage (32.5,75.5) and turn in  Grandma Wahl. Get  Grandma's Lost It Alright from her.
7. The book she wants is just outside to the east under some wooden stand covered with roses. Loot the Linen-Wrapped Book (33.9,77.3).
Get back to the house and turn in  Grandma's Lost It Alright.
8. Get  I Can't Wear This. Go outside, turn right and go around the corner. Loot Grandma’s Good Clothes (32.0,75.5) from the clothesline.
Go back into the house and turn in  I Can't Wear This to Grandma Wahl (32.5,75.5).
9. Get  Grandma's Cat. Go northeast from the house and "loot" Chance the Cat (35.1,74.9) (standing on a small rock).
Lucius the Cruel will spawn and attack you (he also likes cats, it seems). Start fighting him and soon Grandma Wahl will come to aid you... she really doesn't like anyone messing with her kitty...
Loot Chance the Cat from the corpse of Lucius, get back to Grandma Wahl (32.5,75.5) and turn in  Grandma's Cat.
1. Go southeast to the Hayward Fishery and turn in  The Hayward Brothers to Sebastian Hayward (36.9,84.3). Get his two quests:
-  Not Quite Shipshape
-  Washed Up
2. Kill 6 Forsaken Castaways on the shore.
Loot the Barrel of Coal Tar (37.5,85.9) located next to the second small storage building on the left of the house.
Inside the house loot the Shipwright's Tools (37.4,87.1).
Get out of the house, turn left and loot the Planks of Wood (36.1,86.4) under the boat storage building.
3. Go back to Sebastian Hayward (36.9,84.3), turn in  Not Quite Shipshape and  Washed Up.
Get  Escape By Sea.
4. Go back north to Duskhaven, turn in  Escape By Sea to Gwen Armstead (37.7,65.2). Get  To Greymane Manor.
A horse will take you there as soon as you accept the quest.
5. Turn in  To Greymane Manor to Queen Mia Greymane (28.2,50.1) (inside the manor house). Get  The King's Observatory.
6. Go up the stairs behind the queen, get out on the balcony, then go up to the observatory. Turn in  The King's Observatory to King Genn Greymane (26.5,47.0). Get  Alas, Gilneas! After the short cinematic, get  Exodus.
1. Go down the stairs and get out of the manor house. Get on a carriage outside in the courtyard.
2. The carriage will take you to the Stagecoach Crash Site. Turn in  Exodus to Prince Liam Greymane (51.0,80,5) here.
Get  Stranded at the Marsh.
3. Go north to the marsh and kill Swamp Crocolisks fighting with the Crash Survivors, to rescue them.
Rescue 5 Crash Survivors, then go back to Prince Liam Greymane (51.8,80.5) and turn in  Stranded at the Marsh.
Get  Introductions Are in Order.
4. Go southwest up to the top of the hills. Kill 4 Ogre Minions on the way.
Loot Koroth's Banner (46.7,83.4).
5. Get back to Prince Liam Greymane (51.8,80.5) and turn in  Introductions Are in Order. Get  Stormglen.
1. Follow the road southeast to Stormglen Village. Turn in  Stormglen to Gwen Armstead (59.9,91.8 ) (she is at the inn, first building to the left as you enter the village).
Get  Pest Control from her.
Get  Pieces of the Past from Lorna Crowley (60.2,91.8 ) (standing next to the innkeeper).
2. Go to the eastern part of the village and kill 6 Vilebrood Skitterers.
While killing them, be on the lookout for Old Journal Pages lying on the ground. Collect 6 of them.
3. Go back to Gwen Armstead (59.9,91.8 ) at the inn and turn in  Pest Control. Get  Queen-Sized Troubles.
Turn in  Pieces of the Past to Lorna Crowley (60.2,91.8 ) also at the inn.
4. Go northeast of the village to Rygna's Lair (68.2,82.0). Kill Rygna (huge, black spider).
5. Go back to Gwen Armstead (59.9,91.8 ), turn in  Queen-Sized Troubles.
Get  The Blackwald from Lorna Crowley (60.2,91.8 ).
6. Go north of the village to The Bradshaw Mill and turn in  The Blackwald to Belrysa Starbreeze (63.4,83.1).
Get  Losing Your Tail.
7. Jump down behind the mill to the road and start walking northeast. You'll find the Dark Scout around here (64.0,81.1). Kill her. Her spawn location should be at (66.3,80.9).
(Note: This quest might be bugged at the moment because you're supposed to use Belrysa's Talisman when the Dark Scout casts Freezing Trap on you, but she never did that, I was able to just kill her without any problems. This might need further testing!)
Go back to the Bradshaw Mill and turn in  Losing Your Tail to Belrysa Starbreeze (63.4,83.1).
Get  Tal'doren, the Wild Home.
8. Go northeast into the Blackwald and turn in  Tal'doren, the Wild Home to Darius Crowley (68.7,73.4). Get  At Our Doorstep.
Get  Preparations from Vassandra Stormclaw (69.3,73.0).
9. Go west into the swamp and start collecting Moonleaf. Get 6 of them.
Also kill 6 Howling Banshees in this area.
10. Go back east to Lord Darius Crowley (68.7,73.4). Turn in  At Our Doorstep to him. Get  Take Back What's Ours.
Also turn in  Preparations to Vassandra Stormclaw (69.3,73.0).
1. Go west back into the swamp to the Woods' End Cabin (58.6,75.6) and use your Horn of Tal'doren there.
While the Rangers are busy fighting the worgens, run into the house and loot the Mysterious Artifact (57.6,75.7).
2. Go back east to Lord Darius Crowley (68.7,73.4) and turn in  Take Back What's Ours. Get  Neither Human Nor Beast.
Click on the Well of Fury, the Well of Tranquility and the Well of Balance just behind Lord Darius Crowley.
Turn in  Neither Human Nor Beast to him. Get  Return to Stormglen.
3. Go southwest back to Stormglen Village and turn in  Return to Stormglen to Gwen Armstead (59.9,91.8 ) in the inn.
Get  Onwards and Upwards.
1. Follow the road northeast to Tempest's Reach.
Turn in  Onwards and Upwards to Krennan Aranas (72.7,80.3) standing outside the village on the bridge.
Get  Betrayal at Tempest's Reach from him.
2. Go through the bridge, drink your Krennan's Potion of Stealth, get in the village, follow the road to the top of the hill and kill Lord Walden (79.2,64.9) (he patrols in and outside of the house).
3. Walk down southeast on the road and through the bridge leading to a big house with a large tower. Kill Baron Ashbury (85.5,73.9) (he also patrols in and around the house).
4. Follow the road southwest and turn in  Betrayal at Tempest's Reach to King Greymane (78.3,72.0) in Tempest's Reach.
Get  Flank the Forsaken from King Genn Greymane.
Speak to Lord Hewell (78.3,71.9) standing next to the king to get a horse which will take you to the Livery Outpost.
1. Turn in  Flank the Forsaken to Lorna Crowley. Get  Liberation Day.
- Get  Last Meal from Magda Whitewall.
- Get  Slaves to No One from Marcus.
2. Go east and kill Brown Stags in this area until you get 10 Side of Stag Meats.
3. Go northeast to the Emberstone Mine.
Kill Forsaken Slavedrivers in the mine and loot their Slaver's Key. Using the keys, free 5 Enslaved Gilneans.
4. Fight your way through the mine and kill Brothogg the Slavemaster.
5. Get back to the Livery Outpost and turn in your quests:
-  Liberation Day to Lorna Crowley
-  Last Meal to Magda Whitewall
-  Slaves to No One to Marcus
Get  Push Them Out from Lorna Crowley.
6. Go northeast to Emberstone Village and kill 4 Forsaken Infantry.
Kill Executor Cornell (southern part of the village, standing under a tent).
Kill Valnov the Mad (northern part of the village, standing in front of a lab table)
7. Go back southwest to the Livery Outpost, turn in  Push Them Out to Lorna Crowley.
1. Get  The Battle for Gilneas City.
Speak to Krennan Aranas standing at the bridge leading to the city.
2. You'll be teleported inside Gilneas City. Go to the Greymane Court district. Unfortunately I couldn't test the actual event yet, because it just completed half a minute after I entered the city. At this time in beta everyone and their neighbor's cats, dogs, and those said cats' and dogs' relatives as well are doing worgen quests, so no surprise here. I'll try to test this part more thoroughly once things settle down a bit.
Turn in  The Battle for Gilneas City to Lorna Crowley inside the inn. Get  The Hunt for Sylvanas.
3. Behind you will spawn Tobias Mistmantle. Follow him out the inn to the Cathedral Quarter and then into the Light’s Dawn Cathedral. Jump into the water next to him and listen to the conversation involving Lady Sylvanas until you get the quest complete message.
Go back to Lorna Crowley and turn in  The Hunt for Sylvanas.
Get  Vengeance or Survival.
4. Go to King Genn Greymane in the neighboring house and turn in  Vengeance or Survival.
Get  Slowing the Inevitable from him.
Go outside and mount the Captured Riding Bat.
Use your Iron Bomb ability to destroy 6 Forsaken Catapults and 40 Invading Forsakens.
When you’re done with all the bombing, use your Fly Back ability to fly back to Gilneas City.
5. Turn in  Slowing the Inevitable to King Genn Greymane.
Get  Knee-Deep. Go down the stairs behind the king and run through the tunnel below.
Put your Half-Burnt Torch on your action bar and spam it while running to keep the rats away from you.
1. Turn in  Knee-Deep at the other end of the tunnel to Krennan Aranas.
Get  Laid to Rest.
2. Go northwest up the hill and look for Disturbed Soil on the ground.
Loot 5 Unearthed Mementos from them.
Get back to Krennan Aranas and turn in  Laid to Rest.
Get  Patriarch’s Blessing.
3. Go back up the hill to a small shrine marked by a flag.
Use your Blessed Offerings here to complete the quest.
4. Go back to Krennan Aranas and turn in  Patriarch’s Blessing.
Get  Keel Harbor.
1. Follow the road northwest to Keel Harbor.
Turn in  Keel Harbor to Lord Darius Crowley.
Get  They Have Allies, But So Do We.
2. Hop into a Glaivethrower and go west of the harbor up the hill.
Using your vehicle’s Launch Glaive and Glaive Barrage abilities, kill 40 Orc Raiders, 8 Wolfmaw Outriders and 4 Orcish War Machines.
Go back to Lord Darius Crowley and turn in  They Have Allies, But So Do We.
3. Get  Endgame from Lorna Crowley standing behind Darius Crowley.
Get on a hippogryph behind her which will fly you up to the Horde gunship.
Follow Lorna Crowley downstairs, where she will plant some explosives. Hold off the spawning mobs until the explosives go off and destroy the gunship.
The hippogryph will then fly you back to the harbor.
Turn in  Endgame to Lorna Crowley.
4. Get on the ship anchoring at the harbor and get [XX] Rut’theran Village from Professor Pumpernickel (Alpha Teleporter to Darnassus).
You are teleported to Rut'theran Village in Darnassus.
5. Get the quest  The Howling Oak from Krennan Aranas and do as the quest says. Take the portal to Darnassus (it's a red glowing light beneath a large tree, you just have to walk into it to teleport) and seek out Genn Greymane at the Howling Oak in Darnassus.
6. Turn in  The Howling Oak to Genn Greymane. Get the quest  Breaking Waves of Change from him.
With this quest the worgen starter questline is done and you can continue with the night elf quests from here on. Please allow me to close this guide with the parting words of Genn Greymane: "I must travel to the distant city of Stormwind to meet with King Varian. I hope to see your face again very soon. Until then, a fond farewell."